Continuance Health Solutions, Inc.
Jon Harris-Shapiro’s projects help clients improve the health status of their covered population, promote the use of quality health care services, and control medical and productivity-related costs.
Jon has been developing innovative data-driven solutions for his clients for nearly 35 years. His approach integrates actuarial, clinical, and statistical methods to uncover the core factors influencing the direct and indirect consequences of illnesses. His portfolio includes projects that focus on physician treatment patterns, patient behavior, benefit plan design, provider network configuration, adverse selection, incentive programs, and health care financing. Some of those projects include:
Jon was formerly the Vice President for Business Advisory Services for ProfSoft, Inc., a nationally recognized leader in developing and applying episode of care-based analytics to address the challenges faced by both health plans and self-funded employers. He also held senior-level consulting positions with regional and national consulting practices where he provided actuarial and management consulting services to health plans, provider-sponsored organizations, hospitals, and employers. His clients value his ability to demonstrate the linkages between medical need, treatment patterns, patient behavior, clinical outcomes, benefit design, and financial performance.
He also brings extensive experience with payers to the table. He has held leadership positions in the actuarial services departments of Blue Cross Blue Shield Oregon/HMO Oregon and US Healthcare, Inc. (prior to its merger with Aetna, Inc). In those roles, Jon worked very closely with other executives tackling a full range of financial and actuarial matters. He has extensive experience addressing product development and provider reimbursement and risk-sharing issues for Medicare, Medicaid, and commercial lines of business.
Jon is frequently invited to speak at industry and professional meetings and has a number of publications to his credit. Selected publications and presentations include:
- Efficiently Identifying Individuals for Wellness – Presentation to The World Congress 8th Annual Executive Forum on Rewarding Healthy Behaviors – January 2012
- An Analysis of Medication Adherence Patterns for Lipid-Lowering Medications in Northeast Ohio — Monograph 2007
- Evaluating the Impact of a Health Promotion/Wellness Program on Health & Productivity— Presentation to Integrated Benefits Institute/National Business Coalition on Health — February 2009
- Innovative Approaches for Using Health Care Data to Drive Change — Presentation Temple University’s Health Information Management Senior Seminar — February 2007, February 2008
- Clinical Integration: A Strategy for Contracting, Quality & Marketing — Presentation to American Association of Integrated Healthcare Delivery Systems, the American Association of Managed Care Nurses and the National Association of Managed Care Physicians — November 2004
- RBRVS-1998, 1999 Update — Journal of Health Care Finance — Fall 1998, Winter 1999
- Reducing Risk under Capitation — TIPS on Managed Care — July/August 1999
- Physician-owned health plans: Managing the Paradox — Presentation to Society of Actuaries Annual Meetings — October 1997 and October 1998
- Capitation: A Force for Change — Presentation to Saint Joseph’s University, Graduate School of Health Administration — April 1998